The LifeNet Health mission is simple: Saving Lives. Restoring Health. Giving Hope. Its mission, along with its core values of safety, quality, innovation and service continue to create an unmatched record in transplant solutions, which cannot be achieved without talented, dedicated team members who share the same values and attributes that guide the LifeNet Health team every day.
If you have a commitment to customer care, quality and innovation as well as integrity and passion, then you've come to the right place.
We are currently seeking a Senior Research Engineer to join the LifeNet Health team in our Virginia Beach, VA location.
As a Senior Research Engineer, you would support R&D wide activities across all of LifeNet Health's business franchises by providing bioengineering support for the design and implementation of off-the-shelf and custom-made engineering solutions across LifeNet Health's current and future product portfolio. Emphasis on the development, preparation, and testing of project-focused processing solutions including the development of novel culture systems for off-the-shelf cell-based assay systems. Designs, implements, and tests engineering strategies and prototypes for process, equipment, and product development activities. Pursues the identification and generation of new processing technologies and intellectual property in support of the divisional project portfolio. Writes, submits, and presents results of research initiatives both internally and externally.
You would be expected to perform all tasks assigned to you, including but not limited to:
- Develops and tests new tools, devices, and cell culture environments in support for current and future R&D activities.
- Develops and assesses test formats and modalities for the evaluation and quality assessment of new tools, devices, and cell culture environments.
- Provides scientific support for technical staff, including guidance and project review.
- Leads multifunctional teams to plan and execute projects according to goals, budgets, and timelines to achieve corporate objectives.
- Makes major contribution in the development of intellectual property in support of the divisional project portfolio.
- Evaluates the safety, efficiency, and effectiveness of biomedical equipment in accordance with LifeNet Health and industry regulatory standards.
- Accumulates, interprets, and reports data in verbal and written forms (i.e. experimental design, engineering study, technical report, and white paper documentations and scientific presentations). Generates documents, including scientific journal articles, technical reports and regulatory submissions.
- Becomes knowledgeable of and assesses external technology for in-house application, potential licensing, or partner opportunities.
- PhD in Engineering, Biomedical Engineering or Biotechnology or related from accredited college or university with demonstrated focus on process development and product prototyping.
- 7 Years hands-on engineering experience in process and biomedical engineering design and prototyping.
- 7 years' experience evaluating and validating of tissue/cell-based assay systems.
- 1-3 years' experience in high throughput assay systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge: Research Design, Execution, Presentation and Teamwork.
- Proficient: Microsoft Office Applications, incl. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project.
- Proficient in rapid prototyping for biomedical and R&D applications - SolidWorks file design and simulation, 3D printing, CNCing for rapid prototyping.
- Proficient Biophysical characterization of materials by Instron and rheology.
- 3 years hands-on experience in the design and prototyping of biomedical devices.
- 3 years hands-on experience in the design and prototyping of custom-made devices for cell culture applications.
- 3 years' experience in 3D prototyping, surface pattering/contact printing, cast molding, photolithography.
- Previous Experience in Tissue Bank, Medical Device, Biotechnology or related industry.
- Demonstrated knowledge: production of polymeric devices for cell culture applications- photolithography.
- Experience with microscopic cell imaging - video microscopy, florescent microscopy.
- Proficient in rapid prototyping for biomedical and R&D applications - microfluidics from conception to prototyping.
Get to Know LifeNet Health:
LifeNet Health, headquartered in Virginia Beach, Virginia, is the largest nonprofit organ procurement organization (“OPO”) and tissue bank in the United States, as well as a leading innovator in transplantation research and regenerative medicine. LifeNet holds the longest running current accreditation by the American Association of Tissue Banks (AATB). Its goal is to improve the quality of human life through the provision of organs and tissues for transplantation, as well as innovation in the fields of bio-implants and regenerative medicine, and to serve the community with educational and support services that enhance the donation process.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer EOE/M/F/Disability/Vet. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.